Amanda's IELTS BlogGang

For IELTS Preparation and Practice

Funny Observations about Life in the UK

April18

My Chinese friend Jamie was asked recently to write a post on her Funny Observations of Life in the UK . Did you also find these things strange? What other strange things have you noticed about life over here?! I would be really interested to know your opinions – don’t hold back!!!! 🙂

by posted under Uncategorized | 13 Comments »    
13 Comments to

“Funny Observations about Life in the UK”

1. April 19th, 2010 at 9:40 am       Veronica Says:

I feel these things are funny.
    last time, I went to asda. That woman kept saying ”darling”for thousand times…. hahaha (quite annoying actually coz I was packing my things.)

2. April 19th, 2010 at 11:05 pm       amandalanguage Says:

Did she also say , “D’ya want any cash back, love?” ……. or “D’ya want any cash back, duck?” ….. Just like “darling” these are such very common things that people say without even realising!!!

I wonder what other funny and strange things you have noticed while you have been in England? I’d love to know Veronica!!

3. April 19th, 2010 at 11:24 pm       Veronica Says:

that woman also kept saying ”darling” to my friend, who is boy. Every sentence was end up with ”darling” 🙂
    such as ” please enter your pin, darling” juz like this

4. April 20th, 2010 at 12:42 pm       amandalanguage Says:

He! He! I really don’t think it matters if you are a girl or a boy whether someone calls you “Darling”!!!!

5. April 20th, 2010 at 7:49 pm       Scarlet Says:

I think the intonation of English girls is quite funny,
    because it always sounds so dramatically..
    There is one girl in my Comms & Culture class, and every single time
    the internationals talk about their lifes in their countries she’s like ‘REAAAAALLYYYYYYYY?’..Even if you say ‘In Germany we’ve got wholemeal bread that’s not meant to get toasted.’ – ‘REAAAALYYYY?’ 😀
    And I think it’s pure fun when English people think that everything you can buy in England is made and invented there… Last month I had to bring loads of sweets with me from Germany to prove that Haribo is Germany and that every country has different sorts of it because they have different tastes…
    I don’t want to be rude, but even if you’re dump for foreign standards, you feel very genious in Boston because even if you’ve no idea about Maths you’ll still be 1000 times more intelligent concerning general education than the Bostonians..

6. April 21st, 2010 at 9:33 pm       amandalanguage Says:

Now careful Scarlet!! You know I am as Bostonian as you can get don’t you!?!?! 😉

You are right to notice how intonation can really affect how you view someone. English is quite sing-songy and it’s important to try to embrace it because if you speak with a flat, monotone intonation you can sound quite rude.

I just wanted to also say that you must remember, Scarlet, that not only are you an extremely intelligent girl, you are also very lucky. Not everybody you meet will have had the same range of opportunities that you have had to see the world. Maybe your classmate is one of those.

You have just spent time in India. I wonder if you would consider writing a little piece about your trip for our blog. I’m sure everybody would love to read about your adventures and impressions of that amazing country. How about it? If you do want to, i can make a separate page for it so it’s easy to find.

Thanks anyway,

Amanda 🙂

7. April 26th, 2010 at 5:23 pm       Katrin Says:

What I noticed on my way back home from College was that english Teenagers like to open the window when they’re driving with a car and scream something to shock people…. 😛

8. April 26th, 2010 at 7:43 pm       amandalanguage Says:

Funny how they think they are being kind of cool!! How is the general behaviour of British teenagers different from German ones Katrin? It’s a while since I was one but I can’t remember that either me or my friends did anything as uncool as that!

9. April 27th, 2010 at 1:41 pm       Ina Says:

the screaming from the car is not as bad as the lads here walking in the street and puting their hand in their trousers and scratching themselves in the middle of the street… i really thing people here should learn more respect….

10. April 27th, 2010 at 11:12 pm       amandalanguage Says:

Thanks Ina!! Don’t you like capital letters when you write?!? What have you got against them then 😉

You are right. It’s not very nice to see that and it’s not very respectful. You must act like the lady you are and just avert your gaze and look at something much more interesting!!!!

So, is it fair to say that you would NEVER see that sort of behaviour in Lithuania?

11. May 4th, 2010 at 9:01 am       Ina Says:

ou i guess you would see it on every corner and i do not say its just England but its just that i do not like people acting like this. it is rude and unrespectful… people who were raised differently might think that they disrespect their own country… and with the CAPITALS its not my fault its computer lol 😀

12. May 4th, 2010 at 9:19 pm       tina petre Says:

hey amanda i was looking on the blog for the video about the prime minister because i thought i will make u pretty happy if i would comment about it lol and guess what!!! it is not here yet! well if im still here, i said that it is nice to say hello. by the way, i chose to post my “hi” over here because i think it is the uk’s fault that i couldnt find the video; kidding’. it is just funny….somehow

13. May 4th, 2010 at 9:59 pm       amandalanguage Says:

It’s there now Tina!!!!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar